Welcome to the hattrick issue of WE Ride (Whites Employees Ride), the series in which we share our passion for two wheels by introducing a staff member, what they ride, wear and use in the shed.
It’s all motivation to get into the shed, get into your gear, and get out and ride!
What’s your name, what do you ride, and what do you do at Whites?
Dave Jansen, a 2015 Yamaha MT-09, and I am in the Whites’ Purchasing department; dealing mainly in hard parts. My job is to supply the motorcycle parts for our New Zealand and Australian warehouses from suppliers all over the world.
How long have you had your bike and what mods have you made to it so far?
I’ve owned it from new, so going on nine years, and have done a bunch of mods:
- Fly Screen — GYTR.
- Yoshimura Full Titanium Exhaust with Carbon Muffler.
- Customised Tail Tidy up (reengineered the OEM part).
- Blue Anodised Shorty Pivot Levers.
- Plastic/Mesh Rear Seat Cover — GYTR.
- Oxford Knightslider LED Indicators.
- Whites 90 Degree Blue Tyre Valves.
- MT-09 Engine and Gearbox Protectors — GYTR.
- Personalised Number Plate — Catch Me If You Can.
- Whites Gel Road Grips — Blue/Black.
- Oxford F1 M7 Magnetic Tank Bag
See all the parts on Dave’s bike in more detail, here.
Do you have more plans for your Yammie?
Ride it forever!
What sort of riding do you enjoy and where do you like to do it?
I enjoy twisty or flowing roads with plenty of corners — the MT-09 just tips in whenever you want it to.
Favourite journey has to be Hamilton to Stratford return, the old Awakino Gorge and Mt Messenger on the way down and Forgotten World Highway on the way back.
Are there any notable products that you use on the regular to enhance your riding?
- Putoline Chain and Engine Oil
- Bridgestone S22 tyres (these have been superseded by the new S23).
Tell us a bit about your life on two wheels...
I didn't start riding until my early thirties, after I got back from the UK. My sense of mortality was overridden by my sense of adventure and freedom.
I spent six years on a 1989 VT250 before upgrading to an R6. I had done a few track days and when the R6 celebrated 100,000km on the road I stripped it out to be a Track Bike only. That was when I went racing the first time and caught the bug.
A few years later I won the Clubman B title in the Hamilton Motorcycle Club Winter Series. The R6 was stolen, crashed and recovered in 2019 and since then it has been a slow process rebuilding it as time, money and parts allow. It will be ready again in coming months.
Tell us about your gear — why you chose it and what you like about it.
- LS2 FF805 Thunder Carbon Helmet — bright colours, good graphics and looks mean with Iridium Blue Visor.
- Dri-Rider Stealth Waterproof Boots — we all hate wet feet!
- Richa Stealth Shorty Gloves — soft, supple with good protection and perfect for summer.
- Dri-Rider Nordic Jacket — leather/textile mix good for dry weather in winter or summer
- Richa Gotham 2 Jacket
See all Dave’s gear (or similar models if no longer available) in more detail, here.
See Dave’s Shopping Lists
Check out all Dave’s bike mod parts in one place » mods product collection.